Friday, October 23, 2015

Brice's Crossroads revisited

I've written about Brice's Crossroads before.  I've been there since and there have been some updates done to the battlefield.  I've always enjoyed visitng this battlefield.  It has a nice museum (which unfortunately was closed on my most recent visit as it was late in the afternoon) and the park maintains most of its wartime appearance.  It is also an interesting battle in how Forrest fought it, and won.


As you can see in my original post the last time I was here this modern monument was just days away from being revealed. 




There are now a fair number of new signs that explain the battle better than the original markers.  The Tishomingo Creek bridge (modern) can be seen in the center of the photo.



Some of these markers were in place last time I was here but since then more have been added.



 
This bridge takes one to a small section of other markers.  I believe though that this bridge is closer to the historical location than the modern one.  Although the banks of the creek are choked with underbrush the creek itself was not a big deal on the day of our visit. 








 

No comments: