Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lone Jack

Just east of Kansas City is a small battlefield worth a bit of your time. It won't take you long to tour Lone Jack. The small site preserved has a historical marker, two monuments and a museum. The museum is kinda neat. Its one of those small places that doesn't seem to get many visitors so you stand a good chance of being able to chat with the staff member as much as you want. At least that was my luck when I was there a few years ago. It was on a Sunday afternoon and we had the place to ourselves. I thought the diorama was neat and you can tell that they put a good amount of effort into their museum, although I'm sure the funds don't match the energy. Sadly I doubt it gets very many visitors.









3 comments:

kevin kearns said...

i was there over ten years ago,it was a cool site to visit what i remember most was the huge trees they had on the battlefield.plus lonejack was the place rooster cogburn in portis book true grit said he lost his eye[fiction iknow i just thought i add that]

Alinda Miller said...

I am the curator of the Lone Jack Battlefield and Museum and president of the Lone Jack Historical Society. If you haven't been to the Museum lately, it would definitely be worth your time to come back for a visit. The majority of Museum exhibits have been revamped (we are still working on the remainder). And just to add a comment on the number of visitors, we get approximately 4,000 to 5,000 visitors a year. They've come to us from all over the world. We have a website which has a ton of information not available (yet) in the Museum. www.historiclonejack.org

Nick said...

Alinda,
It really is a nice place to visit. I'm sure if I'm ever in KC again I'll make it out there. Not sure when that will be but I'm sure it will happen again. I love the sites that obviously have a staff that cares a great deal about the place. Sadly that is not the case everywhere.