Macon was Georgia's last capitol. When Sherman's troops left Atlanta in mid November for the March to the Sea the Confederates soon had to abandon Milledgeville as their capitol. They next turned to Macon and took over the city hall. City hall had served as a hospital for the previous 14 months (since the battle of Chickamauga). Here the last Confederate Georgia legislative session was held February 16 thru March 11, 1865. The Georgia Supreme Court also met in the building in March 1865. Five Confederate generals surrendered to Union Major General James Wilson here on April 20. They were Major General Howell Cobb, Major General Gustavus Smith, Brigadier General William Mackall, Brigadier General Hugh Mercer and Brigadier General Felix Robertson.
Across the street from city hall is the Macon Volunteers Armory. The Macon Volunteers is the fancy name for the local militia and dates back to 1825.