Saturday, January 17, 2009

Abraham Lincoln: A Life by Thomas Keneally

Abraham Lincoln: A Life by Thomas Keneally


I thought this was a very good read. It is a very basic biography of Lincoln, hits the main points. Not an incredible amount of detail but that is not the goal of the book. I'm sorry that this will not be a lengthy review but in some respects it does not need to be. This is a short biography of Lincoln that will not bog you down with too many details, yet it also does give you a good portrait of the man. This past year I've been sent quite a few books on Lincoln, most of them for a general audience, not the audience who wants to know what Lincoln ate after he gave the Gettysburg address or what songs he whistled while he walked to the telegraph office at the War Department. And this book is one of the better ones. I would have no problem recommending this book to someone who wanted to learn a bit more about Lincoln, and then they could decide if they wanted to dig into one of the many behemoth biographies.


Keneally is probably best known for Schindler's List. He's also ventured into the Civil War before with the novel Confederates. I thought that book was okay, its been awhile since I read it so I cannot give a real review of it.

No comments: