Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Eyewitnesses at the Battle of Shiloh



Eyewitnesses at the Battle of Shiloh edited by David R. Logsdon

This book is pretty much as the title explains. Logsdon has collected eyewitness accounts from a variety sources and compiled them here. He has added some narrative between quotes but not too much, he mainly lets the men speak. This is a good companion book for the driving tour as Logsdon limits his quotes to those areas. You will not read about Sherman's fighting near Jones Field, but you will read about his fighting at Shiloh Church. That's fine. He had to limit his book somehow or it would have been a huge tome. I would appreciate a huge volume but I bet most people would not.

He has also done volumes for Stones River, Franklin, Nashville and Fort Donelson. I have all of the books and have used them for battlefield treks. I will usually copy sections for areas I know I will be at and read them on the spot where they happened. I highly recommend these books.

No comments: