Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

I would like to thank all of our veterans who have protected us through our great history. As a Civil War buff and blogger I deal with soldiers every day. Whether that's reading about what they did in their own words or by others, or looking at the battlefields that they fought on, and many other ways.

I had a few relatives who fought in the Civil War.

Jacob Goll, 24th Wisconsin, Co. C. Enlisted 1 August 1862. Murdered 25 October 1864 at Marietta, GA.

Friedrich Goehring, 9th Wisconsin, Co. A. Enlisted 17 September 1861. Mustered out 3 December 1864.

Frederick Illian, 37th Wisconsin, Co. G. Drafted 21 October 1864. Mustered out 27 July 1865.

Henry Kneibes, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I. Drafted 21 October 1864. Mustered out 14 July 1865.

Peter Reis, 107th Ohio, Co. F. Enlisted 22 August 1862. Died 10 July 1863 of wounds received at Gettysburg on July 2nd.

My connection to Peter Reis is not direct. My dad's mother was Luella Goll, her mother was Caroline Illian, and her father was Lewis Illian. Lewis' father was Friederich Illian, the same Illian listed above in the 37th Wisconsin. At that same time his brother-in-law, Heinrich Kniebes was also drafted and served in the 6th Wisconsin. Both men were 44 years old and lived on the same farm (owned by Friederich Illian). Friederich's mother and father in law also lived on the farm and when he was drafted were probably a big help to Friederich's wife, who had seven children aged 15 years to 14 months old to take care of. One of Friederich's daughters, Catherine, married Wilhelm Reinheimer. Wilhelm's aunt Elisabeth was married to Peter Reis. Like I said the relation is not direct at all but a line can still be traced.

Additionally, Robert Meisinger (my grandfather) served on the USS Hope and USS Thistle during WW2. His father Louis served in the 150th Machinegun Battalion (Rainbow Division) in WW1. My GG Uncle Alexander Kurtz was in the Coastal Artillery in WW1 headed to Europe when a submarine sunk his troop transport ship and he was killed. A few years my uncle gave me Alexander's hunting shotgun and one of Alexanders' brothers engraved the stock with the particulars of his death.

I also have veterans who did not see war service. John Kurtz, my great grandfather and Alexander's brother, served in the Wisconsin National Guard during WW1. My father, Gary Kurtz, served in the Colorado National Guard (originally enlisting in the Wisconsin National Guard) for over 20 years. Part of his unit was sent to the Persian Gulf the first time around but luckily he was not.

5 comments:

simon mawson said...

Jacob Goll, 24th Wisconsin, Co. C. Enlisted 1 August 1862. Murdered 25 October 1864 at Marietta, GA.

Murdered? I would be interested to hear this story.

Nick said...

Yes murdered. His serive file says he was murdered in a row. I've never found out more. I'd love to see if there was a court martial for his killer, that might cast some light on what happened. At the time of his death his regiment was making their way back into middle Tennessee. He was serving on detached duty with the hospital corps. His job during the Georgia campaign had been as a stretcher bearer. Previously he had served nearly every day of his service as a provost guard attached to Sheridan's HQ. Not sure if all this means he wa exceptionally brave/strong so they wanted him for these tough tasks or if he was a pain and the regimental commander wanted him away from the regiment. Could be read either way. In the Roll of Honor it says he was buried in the Marietta National Cemetery but I've been there and could not find him. It is quite the mystery.

Chris Evans said...

Nick,
Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I remember you mentioning him before and his strange death. Have you ever read, 'The 24th Wisconsin Infantry in the Civil War: The Biography of a Regiment' by William J. K. Beaudot? Pretty good book on the 24th but it needs many more maps showing where the 24th was during their battles. I have always had a interest in the 24th because of Douglas MacArthur's (one of my favorite American military characters) famous role with the regiment.
Chris

Chris Evans said...

Sorry, I meant to say Douglas MacArthur Father's role with the regiment.
Chris

Nick said...

Yes I read that book, I had to have a copy when it first came out. There is also a pretty good bio of Arthur, The General's General by Kenneth Ray Young. Covers his Civil War service pretty well, plus of course his great post war service.