Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Chickamauga Monuments

I decided to commemorate the 144th anniversary of Chickamauga I'd share a few of my favorite Chickamauga monuments. These are all for actions on September 19.

I like the 77th Pennsylvania's monument because of its design and the relief on front. Plus in this particular image I like the fall leaves in the background. The 77th Pennsylvania lost their flag during this fighting, it was captured by the 13th Tennessee, which provides another connection for me. The commander of the 13th Tennessee, Alfred Vaughan, is the great (however many) grandfather of one of my friends.

I like this marker too. Its very simple, just stating that this is where the 84th Indiana was posted on the 19th. I like it though because it is well off the beaten path. It is way off the park boundary, they were guarding a bridge well north of the battlefield near the state line. Last fall when I was at Chickamauga this marker was about 100 yards from my campsite.

No comments: