Monday, October 19, 2015

Vicksburg national cemetery

The national cemetery is on ground that was activiely fought over during the siege.  Just outside the gates is this battery of huge cannons.  But inside the cemetery one will find markers denoting positions held by troops during the siege as well as monuments to those troops.  Whenever visiting a battlefield I try to stop at the cemeteries to remind myself of the very real sacrifice that occured there.  There is little more I can add to commemorate thier valor so I'll just leave the following images for you.  However in the final picture there is a bird sitting in the dead tree.  We can pretend that its an eagle watching over the graves but its probably a hawk looking for a mouse to eat.  For now I'll go with the eagle story.














No comments: